Tuesday, March 29, 2011

How Evelynd Got Her Name

Evelynd Jung Dassow.
I think the Dassow part is pretty self-explanatory, but if not you can email me and I can explain it.
Jung is Peter's Korean family name, so we decided to honor that heritage in Evie's middle name.
As for Evelynd, my last name is Evans and Lynd is a family name on my mother's side (for example, it is my middle name and my aunt is Marilynd).  We combined those two and thus, Evelynd. 
We were able to get all three of our last names into one name!

According to babynames.com, Evelyn means "beautiful bird."  The three handmade gifts we got that involved animals all had birds!  Did people look up the meaning of her name?  It's also funny because Peter thought she sounded like a seagull before she cried.  We're still trying to get a video of that.

Melanie made this mobile that is above Evelynd's crib.  It has owls that Samson discovered yesterday -- he was growling and barking at them -- he needs to protect his baby.

Gail stitched this bird onto a onesie.

Our old neighbor Anna made Evelynd this plate (by the way, you can buy Anna's pottery at: http://avrdesigns.com/store.php).

Pretty cool.  Pretty bird.  Pretty girl.

5 comments:

  1. Paige claims you don't pronounce the "d" at the end of Evelynd. Is that true?

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, although I don't mind if you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The "Evans" didn't occur to me! That is extra cool! I love names with special family meaning. You did good :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. She IS a beautiful bird! Glad I got around to checking your site, and I see that you are becoming avid camera users these days;-) Hope your 12-hour Tuesday goes well! Bring some hand-sanitizer for all those folks who can't wait to hold her... (sorry for the unsolicited advice, but I can't help myself sometimes)

    ReplyDelete