Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Miami, Oregon?

A couple of weeks back, I was asked to bid on a wedding from a website I advertise on.  It was supposed to take place on June 9 in South Beach, Oregon, a town near Newport where I have played before.  I bid and was told that they had accepted my bid.  Great!

The restaurant had requested my bid and passed my info on to the bride.  She called my (early) one morning.  I called her back.  She called back about five days later (today) and said, "Hi Bethany.  This is Lauren.  You're playing for my wedding on June 9 down in Miami ..."  Wait!  What?  Rewind.  "...down in Miami...."  I think we have a problem.

I immediately called the bride back to clarify that she said Miami Florida.  She did.  I said, "I'm in Oregon.  I bid on a wedding in South Beach, Oregon."

Long pause.

Bride: "What do we do now?"

I thought for a minute and then offered to refund her money from the website and try to find an available harpist in Miami.  How awful!  A week and a half before her wedding and she suddenly has no harpist.  When I got home, I called the website and they agreed to give her a refund.  Then, I got out the American Harp Society directory and looked up Miami harpists.  I found five and one was available!  Yay!  I was able to call the bride back and tell her she had a harpist.

She was so grateful and kept saying, "This is so nice of you!  I can't believe how helpful you're being or tell you how grateful I am."  I'm just glad it seems to have all worked out.

My question: how did the restaurant mess up Florida and Oregon?

1 comment:

  1. That's crazy! You ARE so thoughtful to have looked up a harpist for her... Too bad you didn't get the gig though, and that they didn't have you play for their wedding!

    ReplyDelete